The Discalced Carmelite Desert of​

The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rooftop View of Cloister Garden

Table of Contents

A Brief History

Montevirginio is a beautiful and well-preserved example of an Italian Desert, one of only four on the Italian peninsula. Established in the middle of the 17th Century, the monastery and enclosed property continued the eremitical practice until government suppression in 1870. Eventually, the property was bought back by the Discalced Carmelites, becoming a novitiate, similar to the Desert of Varazze, also in Italy.

We owe the existence of this Desert to Fr. John the Baptist of Jesus-Mary, who served the Italian Province in multiple capacities, before setting out to establish a desert. After sustaining great injuries from a fall in his search for a site for the desert, Fr. John the Baptist was taken back to Rome, where he died on May 8, 1646. However, Fr. John the Baptist was the son of Virginio Orsini, Duke of Bracciano, who endeavored to help the order achieve his son’s desire to establish a desert. Mount Sassano near the Lake of Bracciano, which had formerly been deeded to the Servite Order, was chosen for the desert, and the observance was established in 1668. The village nearby came to be called Monte Virginio after the Duke who established it, and the Desert after his son (Fr. John the Baptist’s baptismal name was also Virginio).

Montevirginio Sitemap
Site Map
Site Plan Legend
A. Gatehouse
B. Monastery
C. Oratory
D. St. Elias Summer Recreation
E. Hermitage
F. Desert Wall
Climatological Data
Elevation1,476 ft.
Annual Rainfall49 in.
Annual Snowfall< 1 in.
Average Min. Temp38° F
Average Max. Temp76° F

The character of the monastery follows its Italian context, constructed with robust masonry walls and classical details, such as stone window surrounds and paneling. Nevertheless, the articulation is simple, and the ornament minimal, in keeping with the austere way of life of the Carmelite brothers. The clothing of the hermit is simple, but a vibrant interior life is animated by the grace of God; in just the same way the architecture of the monastery is plain and humble, except for the Chapel at its heart.

The rooms and halls of the monastery retain their simple elegance through their proportions; usually the ratio of room width to wall height is 1:1. The use of painted stucco and plaster also creates a clean but spare appearance. Only the chapels and choir (which may originally have been the chapter room) are decorated with more expressive mouldings, surrounds, and decorative paint schemes.

The northwest corner of the front facade, pictured on the right, showcases the patient endurance of the almost four-hundred-year-old building. The deep eave helps to protect the wall from the frequent rainfall common to the region. The windows are organized into a regular rhythm of bays, and their stone casings create an impression of additional solidity and strength, despite the void in the masonry created by the opening. Beyond these few details, there is a studied absence of architectural articulation, including corner treatments, carved mouldings, cornice, columnar orders, string courses, or the like.

Front Facade, Northwest Corner
Monastery Entrance

The front entrance of the monastery would have historically been reached by a stepped path between an allée of trees, that proceeds from the gatehouse entrance to the south. A modest but gracious patio serves to demarcate the monastery from its agrarian context, and a small set of stairs at the entrance door subtly emphasize the otherwise unornamented central portal.

“Aside from the difficulties caused by a more than century-long litigation, nothing about the history of the [Montevirginio] Desert is known to us. It is likely that there wasn’t any notable event until the occupation of Rome by Napoleon’s army. The eremitical life continued as usual, with few exceptions, until 1870. Being the only active Desert since the French Revolution until the foundation of Tarasteix, Monte Virginio housed hermits from diverse nationalities. The capitulation of the pontifical army at Porta Pia put an end to its existence as a Desert, but after passing into the hands of the government, the monastery was finally bought by the province and converted into a novitiate, albeit with the obligation to open the church to the local public and not to change anything in the construction, so that sooner or later the monastery could be returned to its original purpose.

The Italians used to call the Sorrento Desert a Paradise, and the Desert of Monte Virginio a Purgatory, but…a pleasant Purgatory. From the top of the calvary you can see as far as the dome of St. Peter’s in Rome and even part of the sea; on the other side you can see the blue of Lake Bracciano and, in the distance, our monastery of Caprarola

The whole monastery is intact. However, in order to admit the neighbors to the church, part of the surrounding wall had to be demolished; for the same reason, the Divine Office is not recited in the church itself, but in the choir next to it; which was probably the old chapter. The cloister is on two floors, the upper one giving access to the rooms, the lower one to the workbench and the small garden. The novitiate occupies the part formerly reserved for guests and the area of the lay brothers. The property is very beautiful; paths shaded by huge pine trees lead you from one hermitage to another (most of them are in ruins or have been taken down as was the conference pavilion), and up to the Calvary that crowns the mountain top. It is understandable that at one time the government thought of turning the Desert into a sanatorium, but fortunately it abandoned this project.

The high altar of the church has as its main ornament a small oil painting depicting the Blessed Virgin with the Child Jesus holding the small scapular in his hands [pictured]. This painting was originally in an old chapel where the priests said Mass during the construction of the monastery. They recognized it as a sign that the Blessed Virgin had long ago chosen this place to build her sanctuary. Father AugustinMary of St. Joseph, Prior of the novitiate, had this painting restored and decorated with a rich frame, and he told us that on several occasions, finding himself in great spiritual and temporal difficulties, he felt the protection of his beloved Bambino, a protection which at times was prodigious; on some occasions the provisions which normally would not have been sufficient for a few weeks did not run out for several months.”

From The Holy Deserts of the Discalced Carmelites by Friar Bruno Mary of the Holy Cross, O.C.D. (Benedict Zimmerman)

Right: A painting of Our Lady, “The Beauty of Carmel’, provides an intimate altar piece above the tabernacle in the choir.

Choir Tabernacle and Altar Piece

A painting of Our Lady, “The Beauty of Carmel’, provides an intimate altar piece above the tabernacle in the choir.

Abbreviated Timeline

1616
Mount Sassano land deeded

to Servites by Duke Virginio Orsini

1646
Death of Fr. John the Baptist of Jesus-Mary

(Born Virginio Orsini)

1648
Property ceded to Carmelite Order
1654
Cornerstone Laid

by Cardinal Virginio Orsini (nephew of Fr. John the Baptist)

1668
Eremitical observance begun

under Pope Clement IX

1870
Suppression and Annexation

of Monastery by Italian Government

19??
Purchase of Monastery

by Italian Province of Discalced Carmelites

Photo Gallery